Universities and research centres
- Duke’s Evolutionary Anthropology Canine Cognition Centre: Lead by Brian Hare. Free pdf’s of the team’s research papers.
- Eotvos Lorand Budapest University: Dog cognition research lab led by Adam Miklosi. Free pdf’s of their work.
- Postgraduate Toegepast Diergedrag – Postgraduate specialization for vets, zoologists, psychologists, and neuropsychologists. Can choose companion animal behaviour therapy or animal welfare specialization. Based in Belgium, courses in Dutch. Presented by top lecturers and researchers. Strong scientific agenda.
- University of Edinburgh – MSc Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare. On-site.
- University of Lincoln – MPhil in Animal Behaviour and Welfare or MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour. On-site.
- University of Newcastle – BSc (Hons) in Companion Animal Studies. On-site
Certification and accreditation institutes
- American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (DACVB)
- American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB)
- Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB) – Certification institute granting the title of Clinical Animal Behaviourist
- Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) – Research-oriented certification institute for experienced pet behaviour professionals.
- Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CPDT)
- Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB)
- Companion Animal Science Institute (CASI) – Founded and run by applied behaviourist and multiple author James O’Heare
- British Veterinary Behaviour Association (BVBA)
- European Society of Veterinary Clinical Ethology (ESVCE)
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
- Pet Professional Guild (PPG): Leading worldwide animal professional association vetting its members for the ethically sound methods they use with animals.
- Animal Care College – Specialist pet-related qualifications in psychology, training, first aid, bereavement counselling, and more
- Cambridge Ethology Institute – Masters equivalents distance-learning in animal behaviour. Possibility to specialize in dogs. Led by famous ethologist Roger Abrantes.
- Compass education and training: On-line courses about anything pet-related, from nutrition to behaviour.
- Coursera: Countless free mass on-line courses about relevant topics like animal behaviour, pharmacology, canine health or biostatistics
- E-training for dogs – A wide range of high-quality on-line video courses on all things dog-related. Some lead to a certification
- Institute of Canine Biology – List of on-line courses related to dog genetics. Things like Coursera’s Useful Genetics, Population genetics, Coefficient of inbreeding, etc.
- Joel Dehasse training – Belgium-based vet behaviourist giving intensive trainings in professional behaviour coaching (in French)
- Martin Gaus Academie – Professional certifications for all things dog-related, from dog walker to assistance dog trainer to behaviour therapist. Strong emphasis on practice. Lecturers are among the most successful animal professionals in the country. Most courses are in-class only (Lelystad).
- OhMyDog! The Hague – Ten-week internships for biology or psychology graduates who want to gain practical experience in a training school practicing humane and evidence-based methods. MSc graduates preferred, Bachelors will be considered.
- O&O (Honden Opvoeding en Opleiding) – Widely recognized dog training instructor qualification. On-site courses and demanding bootcamp-like schedules but widely recognized throughout The Netherlands. Have recently abandoned dominance-based teaching. In Dutch.