Rules and regulations in The Hague
In The Hague, the following rules are in application when walking your dog (direct link to the relevant page on the municipality website is here):
- Dogs must always be kept on a lead except where marked otherwise (‘uitrengebied’, ‘uitloopgebied’, or ‘uitlaatplek’).Non compliance is punishable by a €60 fine.
- You must clean up after your dog everywhere in the city, including the “dog run” areas. Non compliance is punishable by a €90 fine.
- Dog owners must carry the means to clean up after their dog (paper or plastic baggies or a small scoop) at all times. Non compliance is punishable by a €60 fine.
- No dogs are allowed in children’s play areas or where posted (‘verboden voor honden’). Non compliance is punishable by a €90 fine.
- Dogs are not allowed to run offleash on the beach (day or night) between 15 May and 1 October except in designated areas.
- Owners of seeing-eye dogs are not obliged to clean up after their dog.
- You do not need a permit for your dog in the Netherlands. However, some municipal districts of The Hague do charge a tax for dog ownership, so you have to register them with the Gemeente.
Fines for non-compliance
- Walking the dog without a leash where not permitted: €60.
- Not cleaning up after the dog (even in offleash areas): €90.
- Not carrying the means to clean up after the dog (paper or plastic bag or scoop) at all times: €60.
- Dog present in location where not allowed (either sign-posted or in children’s play area): €90.
These maps show you where you are allowed to walk your dog offleash in The Hague. Although they are dated 2009, they were still on the municipal website in April 2010:
- City centre: Haaghse Bos, Malieveld, Hubertuspark, Arendsdorp
- Escamp: Bosjes van Pex, Uithof, Zuiderpark
- Haaghse Hout: Arendsdorp, Duinbos, Hubertuspark
- Laak: Zuiderpark, Malieveld
- Leidschenveen: Ypenburg
- Loosduinen: Kijkduin, Bosjes van Pex, Meer en Bos, Ockenburgh, Madestein, Westduinpark
- Segbroek: Bosjes van Poot, Westduinpark, Bosjes van Pex