Blog post about dog training tips wish-list.
By Laure-Anne Viselé, July 2010
Right, I’ll stop being lazy and put a training plan together for my dog again, as we’re slacking.
Here is my shopping list:
- Vet’s desensitisation
- Sep-anx maintenance in case I have to work from the office more often again
- Desensitise him to tooth brushing
- Desensitise him to getting wet
- Desensitise him to more kids
- Desensitise him to strange dogs
- Improving the ‘watch me’
- Improving the ‘wait’
- No more begging
- Bring my car keys (not just find them)
We’ve already achieved loads:
- Getting off the couch on demand (compliance could improve, but hey, I find it kind of cute)
- Sitting and waiting for permission before going out of the house (i.e. no longer bolting out)
- Waiting just outside the door, rather than bolting out of the house, after I give permission to go out
- A rock solid recall, even under intense conflicting motivation
- Finding my car keys!!!
- Desensitisation to grooming
- Desensitisation to nail clipping (he just calmly lies himself on his side and waits for the kibble)
- Default sit before crossing the street, then wait for permission
- Offleash walking every day now, even in traffic situation.
- Desensitisation to my husband working on his computer in the dark (that funny glow on his face used to freak Roger out)
- Waiting for permission before lunging for his food.
- Absolutely no resource guarding.
And wouldn’t you know it, we’re busy with the least important one: shaping the retrieve…
- The ultimate social integration prop: dog or kid? – Article comparing Thom (child) and Roger (dog) as my social facilitators
- Dog trip down memory lane – List of all the dogs I have owned, with snippets about issues, personalities, etc.
- Jogging with your dog. He doesn’t feel like it… – Article about the dismal experience of jogging with Roger…
- I hate leaving my dog in a pension! – Article about Roger’s pension stay
- Adopting a dog from a shelter – Roger’s story
- Dogs, my philosophical position – Canis bonus position statement on debated dog issues
- Thinking of getting a dog? Reality check – Article about responsibilities and chores of dog ownership
- Hot dogs – Take a quick poll about today’s hotly debated dog issues
- Dog training, traditional vs. modern theories – An academic review of the field
- Dogs, the art of intelligent punishment – Insight into effective and non-cruel punishment
- Stop your dog from scavenging while walking – Training tips to help reduce the risk of poisoning
- Blimey, my dog’s barmy – Interview with canine behaviourist Nick Jones
- Dog separation anxiety, a treatment protocol – Separation anxiety treatment steps explained
- Getting your dog through the Dutch New Year’s Eve – A guide to fireworks anxiety
- From veterinary nurse to ground-breaking behaviour specialist – Review of Angela Stockdale seminar
- Dog-dog aggression, a self-help guide – Some advice to put you in the right track in seeking treatment
- The D-word, on dogs and dominance – Revision of the dominance dogma