Promotion of Canis bonus dog breed photo project.
By Laure-Anne Viselé, June 2010
Hear, hear! The BIP (Breed Identification Project) has started.
What’s it all about
Educative collection of dog photos submitted by individual owners to help professionals and dog fans unambiguously recognize each dog breed, and no longer confuse closely ressembling breeds.
The idea is to show each breed from every possible angle, size, colour, or coat length.
How to participate in the project
Go to Flickr (you will need to create a Flickr ID, but it’s free and a great tool)
- Click on ‘Upload photos & videos‘ and follow instructions
- Go to one of the Canis bonus breed groups:
- Click on ‘Add something‘ and follow the instructions
What sort of photos is Canis bonus looking for?
I am not looking for professional photo quality, on the contrary. A ‘failed’ picture of the dog’s tail, or a close-up on its ear could make my day if it shows a characteristic trait of your breed.
I am particularly interested in pictures showing:
- a rare trait for the breed (e.g. a brindle and white Boston terrier, instead of the usual black and white, or a silver labrador)
- a typical trait for that dog’s breed (e.g. the English bulldog’s ‘tail’)
- a dog next to something of familiar size like an adult human or a car, to give a better idea of the dog’s size
Go on, get posting and help awareness of your dog’s breed!
I always value your comments, so don’t be shy and share your thoughts. I would particularly like to hear from you if you:
- Own one of the breeds mentioned. What other breeds does it commonly get confused with? Please post pictures on the Flickr gallery too!
- Are having trouble uploading your picture to one of the galleries. I’d be happy to publish clearer instructions with your feedback
- Are a breeder of one of the breeds mentioned. What are the consequences of the public’s confusion with another breed for the breed you produce?
- Hit the spot – Fact sheet about Dalmatians
- Splash! – Photo report about water rescue training for Newfoundland dogs
- That’ll do Fly – Photo report about Dutch national sheep herding championship (Border Collies)
- Raising gentle giants – Interview with anatolian shepherd breeder
- King Charles are not Cavaliers – Breed disambiguation article
- Dog portrait: first Flickr award – Canis bonus gets first Flickr award
- Flickr Awards for Canis bonus – A shower of Flickr awards for Canis bonus
- Portrait of an old lady – Canis bonus photo shoot with elderly dog
- Hot dogs – Quick poll about hotly debated dog issues (e.g. leash/no leash, treat/no treat, etc.)
- Dogs, my philosophical position – Canis bonus position statement on debated dog issues
- Thinking of getting a dog? Reality check – Article about responsibilities and chores of dog ownership